What is PayPal?
PayPal is the safer, easier way to pay online without revealing your credit card number.
PayPal Website Payments Standard Settings
To start processing online payments with PayPal you need to register a new account; it’s free. Jump over to Setting up a PayPal Website Payments Standard account for a detailed explanation on signing up with PayPal, otherwise, continue reading to setup the PayPal Website Payments Standard payment option within WP e-Commerce.
- Open Settings > Store > Payments from the WordPress Administration menu
- Under General Settings check the box beside PayPal Website Payments Standard 2.0
- Save changes by clicking Update
- Hover your mouse over the PayPal Website Payments Standard line and click Edit
- Under username provide the e-mail address you registered with PayPal
- Under form fields link your Checkout fields to PayPal fields
- Save changes by clicking Update with the payment options dialog
Setting up a PayPal Website Payments Standard account
To enable WP e-Commerce to perform at its best you need to setup a a Verified PayPal Premier or Business Account. If you have an existing Personal account with PayPal, you can upgrade your account to a Premier or Business account. A Premier or Business Account is needed to enable IPN (Instant Payment Notification) – covered in detail below – for PayPal to communicate with your WP e-Commerce store.
Instant Payment Notification (IPN)
Instant Payment Notification (IPN) is PayPal’s message service that sends a notification when a transaction is affected. Once IPN is integrated, sellers can automate their back office so they don’t have to wait for payments to come in to trigger order fulfillment.
In simple terms, IPN links PayPal to your WP e-Commerce stores to update the status of Sales. A few instances of this are as follows:
- A customer pays with PayPal > PayPal receives the funds and transfers them to your PayPal account > PayPal’s IPN service notifies WP e-Commerce of the completed Sale > WP e-Commerce updates the Sale status to Accepted Payment
- A customer pays PayPal with an eCheque (bank transfer) > PayPal’s IPN service notifies WP e-Commerce of the delayed Sale > WP e-Commerce updates the Sale status to Order Received > once the payment clears PayPal receives the funds and transfers them to your PayPal account > PayPal’s IPN service notifies WP e-Commerce of the completed Sale > WP e-Commerce updates the Sale status to Accepted Payment
It would be helpful if someone could provide some advice about how to send more than just one address to PayPal. For instance, a custom field like daytime phone number or a different shipping/billing address. Is there a way to add an additional field to send to PayPal?